Mercedes C-class Pictorial Review Exteriors
She looks gorgeous! she is elegant! she is the baby Benz and rules this world since its debut in 1993. In modern days, the c-class which has become synonymous for luxury. Mercedes has sold millions of c-class all over the world. In India, the previous generation c-class is a runaway success and Mercedes has sold more than 5000units in between 2001 – 2007. This is huge considering the size of the luxury market in India. But this success drawn the other German makers attention and they set up plant here and started pulling buyers to their showroom. But the early mover does not want to see the momentum shifting to the other end, Dr Wilfried Aulbur, company’s CEO and Managing Director said, “We are committed to bring in the latest products in the least possible time’. In line with this strategy Mercedes has brought the new c-class to India only after 10 months of its international launch. As in any other market in the world, the new c-class is pitted against BMW 3-series and soon to be launched next generation Audi A4.
Let’s sharpen our focus on the new c-class (W204). The new C-class is quiet a different one compared to its predecessors. Mercedes has reinvigorated the C-Class. Unlike in the past, Mercedes press on driving and comfort rather than technology. For the first time it is being offered in choice of looks – Classic(SE), Elegance and Avantgarde(grille mounted star). For the Indian market Mercedes offers two models with bonnet-top star. With this new c-class Mercedes wishes to lure young and stylish buyers whom loves Beamers and Audi. We test drive C200k Elegance model (petrol engine with automatic transmission) to find out whether this new c-class actually serves the purpose
1) Mercedes new c-class: The new c-class is significantly more aggressive in appearance, thanks to a much more wedge-shaped profile, a handsome and distinctive nose with taller front end to meet the US safety standards. It has stolen few styling cues from both the S-class and CL-class. Mercedes has ditched the traditional twin barrel headlamps for the new c-class . The new sharp headlamps and the new grille gives the new c-class makes it look bigger and the result is the massive road presence.
2) Mercedes new c-class: From the side, the strong shoulderline following the waistline is a visual reference point which suggests power and solidity of the new c-class. Muscular wheel arches and 12 spoke alloy wheels expresses solidity. Thumbnail shows the 12 spoke alloy wheels.
3) Mercedes new c-class: The intriguing interplay of the body lines – between the waist line and the character line gives the rear end a stylish sporty look. Not just sporty in look but also in character. Enough aerodynamices has gone into the car and it Coefficient of drag is only ’0.27′. The result is the speedo needle can touch a 230 figure – maximum speed of the car. We managed to push the c-class to 170kmph during our test drive.
Thumbnail shows the headlmaps cluster, ventilating slots in the rear lamp cluster and speedo when the c-class cruises at 170kmph
4) Mercedes new c-class: Under its stylish skin, the C-Class retains its traditional front-engined, rear-wheel-drive layout. To match the new sporty theme, Mercedes has spruced up the output of the supercharged four cylinder engine and the C200K compressor mill now cranks out 178bhp of max power and 240Nm of max torque from 3500rpm. The maximum power output has gone up by 13% and maximum torque by 9%.
5) Mercedes new c-class: With the 13% power hike and an extra 15 Newton-metres of torque, the C200 now feels a lot more responsive. The road test figures clearly suggest that. It moves past the 60kmph from stand zero in just 5.5s and 100kmph in just 10.09s. The engine is mated with a five speed automatic transmission with manual mode engaged by nugding the gear to the left or right.
6) Mercedes new c-class: Mercedes new c-class comes with a new tag line called ‘Agility at your command’. According to Mercedes, agility control is the term used by for all new and further developments that improve both comfort and agility in equal measure. In simple terms shock absorbers of the new c-class change the way they operate according to how the car is being driven, so that you get a softer ride at low speed and firmer responses when you’re pressing on. With the redesigned steering ratio (14.5) Mercedes claims that the agility control steering is 6% more direct than the preceding model. Let’s look how these technologies performs on the road.
The traditional Merc blend of comfort and handling is still there but the new C-Class has been tuned for more sporty behaviour, resulting in superb body control at higher speeds. Yes, it takes the corners with ease and crawling in the traffic cannot be made simpler than these. You can turn the car with your finger. However, the steering feels over light, it does not gain weight with the increase in speed that means you should not be over enthusiastic while driving.
7) Mercedes new c-class: To complete the sporty character, control over the vehicle has to be good. A new system called Adaptive brake based on the technology of the S-class is built for the new c-class to provide additional support to the driver. We put it to the test and find out the new C-class comes to rest from 60kmph in 2.06seconds. Mercedes has given the c-class a long list of safety features – ESP with ASR, ABS with brake assist, six airbags, crash responsive NECK-PRO front head restraints.
8) Mercedes new c-class: The new C-Class is offered in two variants – Classic and Elegance with two engine options. It is available in colours – alabaster white, grey,obsidian black, cubanite silver and iridium silver.